Diefenhardt

The Diefenhardt Wine Estate has a history and tradition dating back several hundreds of years. The wine vaults, still in use today, were built in the 17th century. As an interesting reminiscence of the past, Jacob Diefenhardt donated 1929 some bottles of his Riesling to the crew for their first flight around the world in the Zeppelin LZ 127. The crew enjoyed the Riesling during the crossing of the meridian and were full of praise of the excellent wine. The Diefenhardt wine estate are aiming at the production of concentrated, complex Riesling wines reflecting their origin/terroir. The vineyard site with its factors degree and direction of inclination as well as the type of soil is a decisive component in the making of great wines. Vineyard “WILDSAU”: In former times the inhabitants of the village of Martinsthal called the forest with a huge population of wild boars. In German: “Wildsau”. The Southwesterly sloops are exposed to the sun until late in the evening. The forrest is a barrier to cold winds from the North so the grapes can thrive and mature exceedingly well. The soils are mineralised, decomposed phyllite materials, covered with loess and loess/loam Vineyard “LANGENBERG”: This vineyard site is turning from the South to the West. In the West the soil predominantly decayed slate. To the East the soil shows an increasing proportion of loess.